We get ready in the bathroom each morning, brush up and wash up, do our little routines and such and repeat that all over again before bed. We want to walk out feeling fresh and clean, not grimy and grossed out. If your bathroom doesn’t make you smile, let’s figure out how to change that. In less than 5 minutes per day, we can get your bathroom looking beautiful and maintained until a bigger cleaning takes place. I hope by now my claims don’t surprise you, you’ve seen how well the other two routines work!
So, instead of trouncing out of your bathroom the second you finish up in there, add these little steps in and enjoy the fruits of your labour. I feel like a million bucks when I get to use a clean bathroom – it really makes a difference!
- Squeegee your shower walls and tub after each use, that way you prevent soap scum and mildew, you can also use a daily shower spray (but I prefer the results of a squeegee)
- Use a disposable wipe (or spray bottle and cloth) to wipe your counter and sink and spot clean your mirror each night before bed, toss it. If you want to be extra fancy, keep a microfiber cloth for the glass since it does a better job, but if that’s too much stick to the disposable wipe.
- Sprinkle a couple of teaspoons of baking soda in the toilet overnight, and flush it in the morning. This helps deodorize the toilet and keep it cleaner. If you notice a ring building up, give the toilet bowl a quick 10 second scrub in the morning and flush.
- Keep your oral care and face care products and hand soap on your counter only, everything else needs storage so it doesn’t clutter up your counter. Line up each item parallel or perpendicular after each use and replace any other cosmetic or toiletry item where it belongs after use. Leave nothing else out!
- Do a cursory tidy up including putting your clothing away (sometimes people store clothing in the bathroom).
- Finish up by closing your shower curtain, straightening up towels and rugs and ensuring you have toilet paper (yes – do this!).
This might even take you under 5 minutes each day, clean spaces lead to quicker cleans! Now I know, these tips may seem simple, but actually implementing them into your daily routine will keep your bathroom looking gorgeous and ready for you to use each day.
Now, if you share a bathroom, you can either take this on yourself (because it’s all about how YOU feel in the end, not the other person), or you can work on this routine with the person or people you share it with, hoping that everyone can stick to the standards set out. If it helps, take a moment, and do a dry run. Establish where everything is going to go and what the routine looks like. Don’t overthink it, just do it!
- Leave a squeegee in your shower stall for easy use
- Keep a container of disposable wipes under your bathroom sink, you can also do this for a glass microfiber cloth
- after a shower, leave the door of the bathroom open and turn on the fan or open a window. This helps reduce moisture in the air and keeps the bathroom mildew-free
- Locate a ‘home’ for each item in your bathroom, from cotton swabs to creams and hair styling products. That way, you will know exactly where everything goes.
- Consider decluttering or getting rid of old products that are just taking up space!