We’re in the full swing of summer and the activities are flowing! But, what about all that summer gear? After a few months of use it’s bound to get dirty and smelly. So, let’s take a look at how to avoid some common summer messes and get your gear back in tip-top shape!
Whether you have kids in soccer or a partner in beer-league softball, you know how hard it can be to keep that sports gear fresh and stain-free. Here are some basics tips to consider:
- Lots of sports gear have special cleaning rules, so check the manufacturer’s website and clean accordingly.
- Make sure to launder the gear THAT NIGHT! If you let it sit, it will stink!
- Pre-soak using Oxygen bleach for grass and mud stains.
- Use a fabric rinse to tackle terrible odors!
- Lay down a liner or tarp to prevent dirt, mud, and gravel from settling into your trunk’s fabric.
- Make sure to remove sports equipment, lawn chairs, and coolers overnight, allowing them to dry properly outside of the car.
Spill-Proofing Camp Days and Outings
- Neoprene bags and lunch packs are fantastic lightweight options for camp days and outings. They are great insulators to keep food hot or cold and are so easy to wipe clean at the end of the day.
- I like to keep my sunscreen and bug spray in a small seperate bag to prevent spills from messing up my other stuff.
- Large tote bags can hold a ton of stuff but are easy to throw in the wash at the end of the day.
- Wipe down and air out coolers between uses to prevent mildew and bacteria from building up.
Après Swim (beach, pool, lake)
- Make sure to rinse bathing suits in clean water to remove salt, chlorine, and lake bacteria after a swim.
- Shake off towels and swimsuits to remove sand and debris, before you bring them into your car or house. Keep the mess outside!
- Air-dry wet garments and towels before packing them up. This will help prevent stinky odors from building up and will aid in shaking off any sand or dirt.
- Here’s a fun and unusual tip! Dust a bit of cornstarch on your skin to dry it quickly and watch the sand fall right of your arms and legs!
- Wet/Dry bags are essential when sending kids to camp. They will always ensure that your little one’s stuff stays safe and dry throughout rainy days and canoe trips.
- Try using some essential oils on any gear, garments, or towels that are starting to develop a funky smell.
Now that we’ve gone over the basics, you can enjoy the rest of the summer while avoiding some of the mess! Time to enjoy that sun!
Make sure to check out our E-Book Bundle! It gives you 3 fantastic e-books (Complete Guide to Essential Oils, My 3-Wave Cleaning System, 50 DIY Cleaning Recipes) that will help you stay fresh this summer!!
Looking for a BETTER & EASIER Way to Clean Your Home?
Cleaning Expert Melissa Maker is here to help with her game-changing 3 Wave Cleaning System that will help you clean your house faster and easier than you ever thought possible!