Hello again Clean My Space Nation – this week we’re tackling a cleaning job that rarely, if ever gets done, AND gets the kitchen and bathroom working in concert…we don’t see that too often, now do we? Let me explain. Your oven racks are quite a pain point when it comes to cleaning. You can’t leave them in a self-clean oven cycle, they are nearly impossible to scrub effectively but they do look awful after a few thrills and spills and can lead to bad smells and burning and charred gunk over time. So I’m going to tell you how to clean your oven racks with next to no effort at all. I assure you, after reading this post, within 24 hours, 80% of you will have cleaned your oven racks. The other 20% will do it within 48 hours. It’s that easy! Ok, enough is enough – let’s get going!
Here’s what you’ll need:
An old towel.
About a cup of laundry detergent – you can use the powdered kind or the liquid kind- you can even use dishwashing detergent which should work just as well. However, I prefer to us powdered for this job and I’ll explain why in a second.
And finally a bathtub – or at least a tub big enough to fit your oven racks into.
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Lay the towel along the bottom of your bathtub – this is going to protect the surface of your tub from being scratched by the oven racks or powdered detergent – this is an important step, so don’t skip this one!
2. Take your dirty oven racks and place them on top of the towel.
3. Then plug the drain and start filling the tub with the hottest water possible. Let the tub fill until the water completely covers the racks. Hot water is really important here, my friends. It helps break down the grease and activate the detergent. It will cool over time but the initial blast should be hot, hot, hot.
4. Finally, take a cup of the laundry detergent or the dish detergent and dissolve it in hot water and then add it to the tub to ensure the product is broken down well. I like powder because you do get some abrasion as well; you don’t have to completely dissolve it before adding it into the water. The soapy water and the granules act together to get the most bang for your buck!
5. That’s it! Now let the detergent do it’s thing for the next 6-10 hours. It’s probably best just to leave it be overnight and give it enough time to really loosen all that caked on grease and grime.
6. The next morning drain the tub and give the racks a quick wipe and dry before putting them back into the oven.
It’s important to note that you should NEVER leave your oven racks in the oven during the self-cleaning cycle – it can strip the chrome off the rack and permanently damage it – the oven self cleaning feature is not designed to clean the racks and besides, this method is so easy it’s like they clean themselves anyway. If you have an oven with coil burners, you can throw your drip pans in the tub as well overnight, I mean, why not?
The comment question this week is: what should YOU be cleaning more than you actually do? Leave your stories in the comment box below – or just say hi! I LOVE reading what you guys have to say.