So, you want to clean your hardwood floors? No Problemo – with a little bit of elbow grease, it’s actually pretty easy to maintain hardwood floors.
There are many different types of hardwood floors
- Polyurethane coating makes the floors look clean and shiny
- Hardwood finished wood has a waxy or oily coating which repels water or liquid
- Unfinished hardwood CANNOT be mopped since it will damage the floors
To test if you can mop your floors, drop a few drops of water in a discreet area and if it beads, you have a floor coating.
What you need
1) Hardwood floors
3) Dishwashing liquid
4) Wringer bucket
5) Microfiber twist mop
6) Microfiber cloth
7) Rubbing alcohol
8) Warm water
For premium microfiber cloths, check out Maker’s Clean Cloth Bundle, on sale now!
How to clean your hardwood floors
- Put half a pinky nails worth of dishwashing liquid into a wringer bucket. Dishwashing liquid is a neutral cleaner and will help to remove dirt well without leaving a residue.
- Add a cap full of vinegar and fill with hot water. Vinegar is a mild disinfectant and will help to cut grease without leaving streaks.
- Soak the mop head in the bucket for a few minutes to soften. The mop has to be almost dry before mopping hardwood floor.
- When you mop, clean in an S-shaped pattern. This ensures you get all areas of the floor cleaned. Keep your bucket around you and try not to step into areas you’ve already cleaned.
- To be extra diligent, you can take a microfiber cloth and do a quick wipe down so no water is left behind.
- Sweep and vacuum once or twice a week and mop once every one or two weeks.
Here’s a video that explains more!
See our E-Book Bundle to take your cleaning game to the next level! It gives you our top 3 e-books (Melissa Maker’s 3 Wave Cleaning System, 50 DIY Cleaning Recipes, The Complete Guide to Essential Oils) and will give you the perfect start to a fresher and cleaner home!
Looking for a BETTER & EASIER Way to Clean Your Home?
Cleaning Expert Melissa Maker is here to help with her game-changing 3 Wave Cleaning System that will help you clean your house faster and easier than you ever thought possible!